Tips for Shaving with a Razor - The Art of Shaving
Even if you have been razor shaving for 10 or 20 years you may need to beef up on the latest shaving advice. After all, it may differ from what your dad told you 10 or 20 years ago!
1. You need to open the pores on your face and soften your whiskers. Either take a shower or get a wash cloth and run warm (not hot) water over it. Then put the wash cloth over your face for a couple of minutes.
2. Wash your face with an exfoliating scrub or facial cleanser. An exfoliating scrub sloughs off the dead skin so you can get a closer shave. Some men apply olive oil on their face to further the moistening process. There are commercial pre-shave oils.
3. Apply some shaving cream or gel evenly to your face. Be sure not to get it too thick. Always rub upwards on your face. If you decide to use a shaving brush, apply the cream or gel in a circular motion. Allow the gel or cream to sit on your face for a couple of minutes to further the moistening process. Wet hair is 70% easier to cut than dry hair.
4. Always shave with your razor in the same direction that your hair grows. Usually, facial hair grows down but under your chin it grows toward your chin. As you shave with a razor be sure and pull your skin taut to avoid nicks. Keep in mind that facial hair is thickest above your lip. We are all individuals so closely check your facial hair growth.
5. Keep washing off your shaving razor throughout the process to cleanse the hair and gel off so you will continue to get the closest razor shave possible.
6. When you are finished shaving, rinse your face off with cold water. Some men like to shower at this point to ensure that all of the shaving cream is rinsed off. Dry off your face and apply aftershave, astringent, or toner. Then apply a moisturizer, preferably one with a sunscreen. Never use products with alcohol, as they will dry out your skin.
Shaving with a razor provides the best possible shave. Change your razor every 3-4 shaves for the closest possible razor shave. Some men prefer to change their razor every other shave.
If you prefer to use an electric razor, read on .